I decided to join the Hope Flag Project after reading a post on my sister's blog.
I uncovered some small woven fabric pieces that I previously created from one of Jude Hill's on-line classes. Having no planned purpose for them, I cut one in half and folded the top over to form the base for my flag. Using some red crushed velvet, I cut a heart shape for my focal point. I then cut a hole in the heart and a matching one in my flag base and sandwiched a transparency between the two. Free-motion machine stitching as well as hand stitching and embroidery complete the design. I felt compelled to add the "protrusions" that Jude Hill often stitches on her hearts, but having embroidered them in aqua blue, I'm unsure whether they represent tears or hopeful wings.
This is the back side. (I think I like it as well as the front.)